I've been reading the same Bible since 1987. It's a daily Bible, divided into readings for each day. I've been fairly regular in my reading over the years, though I've certainly missed a fair share of days in the past 23 years. I've read about King Solomon many, many times. He's one of my favorite Bible characters. But, I missed some stuff until today.
King Solomon started out strong but then you know the story; he worshipped other gods and didn't follow God's commands. (1 Kings 2:11) So, God split the tribes of Israel and tore the kindgom apart; He did that Himself. Getting lost in the details of northern/southern kindgom, tribes of whatever, then he died and was buried...I just always assumed it must have been the tribes bickering about something or other that split the nation of Israel. I wasn't concerned that I didn't know exactly what caused it. Today I saw that GOD split them. (1 Kings 11:30) God left only the tribes of Judah and Benjamin in the kingdom of Rehoboam (Solomon's son) because He had promised David would have a descendant on the throne forever. One day, God sent a prophet to Jeroboam to tell him he'd be king of the rest of Israel. When the 10 tribes made Jeroboam king, Rehoboam was angry and wanted to go to war. Again, a prophet spoke and told Israel not to fight with their brothers in Judah. And the people listened to the prophet.
You're Jeroboam: just a worker and then the king elevates you to battalion chief, then a prophet tells you you'll be king, then you're crowned king of God's chosen people. Jeroboam definitely had favor and promotion! Then in chapter 12, verse 26, Jeroboam does what we so often do: he "thought to himself." From there on his life goes from bad to worse; he's dead by chapter 14.
Thinking isn't so bad, right? Really? Then why are we commanded to "take captive every thought," and "lean not on our own understanding"? BECAUSE THINKING KILLS. Solomon thought it would be alright to marry women from other lands. (9:24) Rehoboam thought he should go to war and restore all the tribes of Israel. (12:21) Jeroboam thought he'd avoid trouble with the tribes of Judah and make worship safer by building local statues for the people to worship. (12:26) These thoughts mark the first moments which led to the downfall of these great men.
The better alternative? Psalm 77:12; "I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds." Meditate on God's Word. Let it become your first response in every situation. Wouldn't it be great if somebody wronged you and SCRIPTURE was the first thing to fly out of your mouth? If you smashed your finger in the door, you'd let loose with a blessing? I want God's ways and words to never "depart from my mouth." That should be the only thing coming out...
Superbowl XLIX Recap
11 years ago
2 comments:
Ya know you could almost take what you meant by scripture "to never depart from your mouth" the opposite of what you meant :)
Good revelation. Now if only we could get you to post just a little more often....
THAT was good stuff, teacher lady. You put it in terms that won't go over people's heads.
Post a Comment