Monday, February 1, 2010

the trouble with vampires

I've got issues with vampires. First off; ew. (Seriously...EW!)

Then there's Leviticus 17:10. God said to Moses, "Any Israelite or any alien living among them who eats any blood-I will set my face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from his people." So, it's not just the church folk who aren't supposed to do this. God said anyone who lives near us and does this will be risking the wrath of God.

This practice started with unbelieving people knowing that blood contained life and wanting to gain the characteristics of the slain. (speed, strength, etc.) God's people are to rely on Him only.

In early temple practices, blood sacrifice was an offering to God fulfilling the penalty of death and granting forgiveness to the sacrificer. Sacrifice the animal, receive forgiveness. Blood shed proved the death of the sacrificed animal.

Many deadly diseases are transmitted by blood. This law protected the people from infection. Jesus was the final blood sacrifice. Symbolically, we are to remember communion by taking Jesus' life (the cup of His blood) into our lives.

I can see that books, movies, and TV shows about mysterious men who pursue innocent young women and lure them into a loving embrace would draw so many fans. But vampires (in every iteration since prehistoric times) don't just attract or flatter the women; they use them. Vampires are the original addicts.

What I CAN'T see is how so many are blind to the dangers of this form of entertainment. God delineated many "important" regulations (like no murder, no stealing) and He saw fit to mention the drinking of blood. That was enough to help me make my choice about vampires. God has been known to wipe out entire civilizations. I hope it doesn't take burning sulfur raining down or giant cracks in the earth's surface to make the rest turn away from this "entertaining" form of literary evil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Literary evil. I like that! It explains a lot. But it doesn't explain the kids who hang out in Todos Santos plaza after midnight as a vampire coven.

drawingcloser said...

Good stuff! I have never liked horror movies although as a teenager I pretended to one time. It's important to see all things with God's eyes.

Margo Carmichael said...

Some would say, But we're not under the Old Testament. Well, Galatians 5 in the New Testament lists sorcery as something that can keep someone out of the Kingdom. Of course, most people who watch these won't do sorcery. But vampires do; at least, they use powers not from God to do things God hates, as you have shown. So, people will say vampires aren't real. ***But the concept of sorcery is real.*** It just seems disloyal to be entertained and amused by something God hates. I fear it will bring His discipline, too. He does discipline those He loves. Not to mention that we are in spiritual warfare.